Mom’s Taco Salad
I grew up enjoying mom’s Dorito taco salad. She was taught by her mom and since then, every generation has either made it as it was or added their own magical flair. I tried to keep to the original recipe as much as I could but as you all know, I had an attention span of a flea back then and didn’t always keep up with her recipes. So, here I hoped to preserve what I have remembered and have made for my family. It’s oh my gravy good!
Let’s start by making our taco meat. Brown a pound of hamburger and drain the grease. Add taco seasoning according to directions on the pack or you can add 2 tablespoons of your bulk taco seasoning. You can find the recipe here.
Chop your tomato, lettuce and onion and put it in a large mixing bowl. Add your undrained can of ranch style beans and the taco meat.
Mix in a full bottle of Thousand Island dressing or you can use the bonus recipe for my own Thousand Island dressing found below.
Crush a bag of Dorito nacho chips (or the generic/store brand like I use) to the size you like. Below shows how my family prefers theirs but you can break them as small or large as you like. Experiment!
Mix the chips in with the other goodies right before serving.
This taco salad is amazing the next day since all those flavors marry up during the chilling. You can make this the day before and add the chips right before serving if you want those amped up flavors without waiting for leftovers.
I did something new with our leftovers this last time around. I added another cup of shredded cheese and made large burritos using the extra large tortillas. They freeze great! Just microwave for 4 minutes. Enjoy!
Mom’s Dorito Taco Salad
- `1 15 oz. nacho tortilla chips crushed
- 1 lb hamburger meat
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1 small onion shredded or chopped
- 2 cups lettuce shredded or chopped
- 1 can ranch style beans
- 1 16 oz. bottle Thousand Island dressing
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Brown 1 pound of hamburger meat in a skillet. Mix in taco seasoning and set aside.
- Chop lettuce, onion and tomatoes.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix taco meat, vegetables, dressing, shredded cheese and ranch style beans (don't drain the beans).
- Add crushed nacho chips right before serving for a crunchy texture.
Thousand Island Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- ½ small onion chopped small
- 2 Tbsp sweet dill relish
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- Mix all ingredients well and keep in a sealed container.