Kicked-up Red Beans and Rice
Red beans and rice? How very nice! My family requests this dish at least twice a month and since it is so flavorful and easy, it will be a regular on your menu, as well.
All in the Prep
Let’s start with the nitty-gritty – the prep. To start with, you will need a sweet pepper. I normally use bell peppers but as a rule I use what is on hand, if possible, and in this case it was these mini-sweet peppers I picked up at Aldi’s. I simply diced them up along with a medium sized onion and set it aside.
Cooking Up the Magic!
Now to the stovetop. Sauté the peppers and onions in a couple teaspoons of oil until the onions begin to look clear.
Cook 2 cups of instant rice in 2 cups boiling chicken broth. This is my trick for the tastiest rice. Chicken broth (or even beef broth) soaks into the rice and makes it go wow!
When the rice is done, mix in the peppers and onions and set aside.
Home cooked red beans are amazing. but in the case of red beans and rice, I always grab for the canned variety unless I have pints of it jarred up in the pantry. Dakota’s Pride dark red kidney beans have a lot of flavor. I got a case at Sam’s Club. You can use any brand, of course.
Dump the whole can into the rice and pepper mixture. Don’t even bother to drain it. The liquid from the can will soak right up into the rice.
Toss in the taco meat and mix well. We didn’t have any leftovers when I made this for my family last week. If we do have leftovers, its great as a side dish. I have also tried this with chopped Eckridge sausage instead of the taco meat. It was oh my gravy good!
Kicked Up Red Beans and Rice
- 1 cup sweet peppers chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cups instant rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb hamburger meat
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 can kidney beans
- Chop a medium onion and the equivalent of about a cup of sweet peppers. Set aside.
- Brown a pound of hamburger meat in a skillet and mix in either a package of taco seasoning or 3 tablespoons of bulk taco seasoning.
- Bring 2 cups of chicken broth to a boil.
- Add 2 cups of instant rice and cook until tender.
- Mix in the pepper mixture and taco meat.
- Add 1 can of kidney beans. Do not drain.
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly and let it set for about 5 minutes to let the rice soak in the juices.