These cheesy chicken enchiladas are super easy to make and are full of flavors of the Southwest. Simple ingredients fill these enchiladas and they are topped with a creamy white sauce and even more cheese.
A Few Tips
Growing up, I thought all enchiladas had some sort of beef in them but since I have started cooking for my family I have learned that there are many varieties you can try to fit your tastes and dietary requirements. These are full of shredded chicken and cheese but shredded turkey or sausage is also a mouthwatering variation.
I have it in my recipe where the chicken enchilada filling is a simple shredded chicken and cheese mixture but don’t let that stop you from experimenting. Toss in some cilantro or green chilies! And if you really want to jazz it up, mix in some Spanish rice into the chicken and cheese. The sky’s the limit!
When I first started making these for my family, I used corn tortillas. They were amazing! If you use corn tortillas, be sure to soak them for a minute so they are more pliable. I used chicken broth to prep mine.
I now use flour tortillas for this dish but it is really whichever you have on hand. My guys here tend to go through the flour tortillas pretty quickly during the week. They are so versatile! (I caught my husband putting peanut butter and jelly on one the other day just for a snack.)
This also makes a great freezer meal. I generally make two at a time. One for the table, the other for the freezer with instructions on the cover. This way, on nights we are going to be late getting home or I am just too tired to cook a real meal, I know that a delicious Mexican dinner is already prepped and can be popped in the oven. We have enough stress in our lives without what’s-for-supper-on-football-night syndrome.
- 12 flour or corn tortillas soak for a minute or two to make pliable
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 ½ cups shredded cooked chicken rotisserie chicken works great!
- 3 cups Monterey Jack shredded cheese or your favorite cheeses
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 4 oz. can of diced green chilies
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13 inch baking dish either with butter, oil or cooking spray.
- Mix the shredded chicken and 1 cup of the shredded cheese in a bowl.
- Fill tortillas with about ⅓ cup of the chicken and cheese mixture close to the edge of the tortilla and roll them. Lay them seam side down in the baking dish.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Stir in flour and whisk for about a minute to get that flour taste out and make a paste.
- Add broth and whisk together. Cook over medium heat until it thickens. Take off heat.
- Blend in sour cream and green chilies.
- Pour sauce over enchiladas and top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is toasty brown. Enjoy!
Chicken enchiladas are so easy to make but they taste like you spent hours in the kitchen. Taco Night isn’t just for tacos anymore so spread your wings and serve up a great Mexican dish for your family tonight!